Friday 29 January 2016

Drawing a treasure map.

I'm no artist. Let's get that out of the way straight up. But I do like to try new things.
A few months ago while proctoring a class, I got it into my head that I really must start drawing some old style maps.
I had no idea what I was doing coming into this and I still have relatively no idea, but each step is progress. I thought, it's a relatively cheap hobby to dive in and out of and it might sate my antique map fetish for another decade.
So off I went. I started to scratch out some images in my ideas notebook I carry around everywhere next to me and then started to  figure out how to draw mountains, trees and sand dunes.
Once I thought I was read to continue, bought a watercolour pencil set, a book of watercolour paper and used my gel pens from work. Total cost? Probably no more than $10.
The aged look was quite simple. I just made myself a cup of teach and when it had finished seeping, I took it out and rubbed it over my paper. I think the effect is kinda cool.

The result: Okay for a first go. I am particularly happy with the ship and the sea monster. I think I did okay with the shape of the island and the shading but the mountains and hills just seem to lack depth. I was not a fan of how the shipwreck turned out and the the cliff face stands out like dog's balls. Halfway through the map making I discovered a brown(sepia) gel pen that I wish I had found earlier. But the good news it that I abused the hell out of it in my next drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment